Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Well, it has been a good day. The weather was lovely. That was a really good thing, as the paper person left the newspaper under Mike's car. Not just a little bit under, this was seriously under. As far back as the rear tires, and about the middle of the distance between the tires. The only way for me to get it would be to crawl under the car or move the car. Since I had dinner to fix, and I was only getting the paper for 5 minutes of reading before working on the jello, I decided it could wait! I could have gotten Mike, of course, but there was no rush and I knew that there was a good chance he would want it before I had time to think about it again!

I think I have fine-tuned the holiday meal preparation to the max. Everything worked out well, the timing was good, and there was no last minute rush to try to finish something while everything else got cold. The only close call was the gravy. I got a small turkey this year, it was 8.88 pounds, and I forgot that they come with a gravy packet. I used it, as it makes a nice gravy, but this time it just didn't really care to thicken as much as usual. Still, it thickened enough and was really good. I made the mashed potatoes ahead of time, and that worked out really well. I have seen a variety of ways of doing that and keeping them hot, and so decided to give one a try. I mashed and finished up the potatoes, then put them in a double boiler. I added a place mat to the top for added insulation, put the burner on low heat, and voila! Hot potatoes at dinner time and no last minute mashing going on!!!!!

We had a quiet day, but a good one. We are very thankful to have Anne home, recovering from her surgery, and a good prognosis. It sure could have been a different story, and we are very much aware of that.

I talked to Brian on IM today and that was great too! I saw a few photos of Michelle on the baby cam, and that was also wonderful! It really has been a good day all around.

I did end up wanting the newspaper before Mike did, so I moved his car, picked up the newspaper, and returned his car to it's usual spot! The things we have to do sometimes! It was interesting to look at the ads, and see the things that the crazy people will be shopping for tomorrow (sorry to those of you who will be going!). I can't say I saw anything I wanted badly enough to get up at the crack of dawn for, let lone dealing with the masses of people. I did "the big day after Thanksgiving sales" once for grins with Aussie friends, and once was more than enough! I think I bought 2 things, and they filled my car to the brim! You can tell I am not much of a shopper, eh? It is a fun memory though, and I won't ever forget that long day of shopping with Sandie and Natalie!

1 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Ruinous Fools said...

What ever happen to putting the paper so some one can easly get it? I guess the paper person didn't really care where it landed. they just wanted to go back home and enjoy Thanksgiving.

I do like the mashed potato idea, I might have to try that next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home