Sunday, September 18, 2005

Odds and Ends

Well, I think I told some of you, in email, about the cranes in the front yard on Thursday (I think it was Thursday?). I took photos and STILL need to download them so I can include some in a blog. I guess that will happen later, and you will see them in a later blog entry, perhaps tomorrow?

Meanwhile, rather than have you once again check my blog and find nothing new, I will just bop around and comment on tidbits of things I have meant to talk about! I am guessing Brian is gone TDY by now. I haven't heard/seen him online in a while, and I know he was supposed to go the middle of the month. Logic would tell us..... He is supposed to be home the end of the month. I don't know if he will have any opportunity to go home in that two weeks--he will only be 3 hours from home, but I don't know what the procedure is.

I have continued to put off the bit about the German rest rooms, and I think this is the time! What I especially liked about them, was that the framing of the stalls and the doors were such that there was no gap. You ladies know exactly what I am talking about when I mention the "gap." That horrible gap between the door and the frame that varies from tiny to huge and gaping, which would allow anyone who desires to see into the stall. I have never understood the sense in the design, and I don't really think there is any!!!!! The German rest rooms I visited while in Germany did not have that problem. The door fits flush with the frame, and even better, the door fastens with a sturdier (than U.S. variety) turning mechanism, which has the added benefit of showing those outside the stall that the stall is occupied. That is a real no brainer, but do we see that in the U.S.? No, we do not! Why not????? It makes so much sense. Just as an interesting bit too---in France (at least in the airport!) the "flushing mechanism" was located on the wall next to the toilet (the side wall, not the wall that the toilet backs on--made it really easy to reach), and it was a button that was pushed. In Germany, most of the toilets I saw, including the ones in Brian and Christine's house, were in the form of a button or square on top of the tank that you pushed down. I don't know if it was coincidence or fact, but I never did notice a toilet "running" while I was overseas.

I finished the dish cloth that I started knitting ages ago, as my first project when I started knitting again after years and years away from it. The earlier parts seemed to go so slow, and the last part, that I did last night, went so fast. I guess part of it was all the practice I got from knitting Anne's blanket. It gives me hope that future projects will go faster too! Her blanket has pretty well taken permenant residency on her bed, and I am wondering if she needs more, one for the car, one for the family room, etc. The one on the bed ends up providing comfort to Mickey too, as she loves to sleep on it, and Anne usually wakes up in the morning to find Mickey sleeping next to her, on the blanket. No way to get it out from under the kitty to take it away. I guess we will see.

Well, that will do for now, and I will have more news soon. As I understand it, my car is being repaired, but I don't know yet when it will be ready for pick-up. Estimates on repair time tend to be just that, estimates!

1 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no i'm still here, they canceled the tdy for now :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home