Friday, August 25, 2006

This Funny Wet Stuff Fell Out of the Sky

Yep, we have had rain! We had a skimpy half inch on Wednesday, and I carefully emptied the rain gauge that evening. A good thing! Anne and I left the house to run errands yesterday afternoon---accompanied by the sounds of thunder. It was far enough off, not a worry. By the time we came out of the BX, it was pouring down rain. We stopped at the food court and waited for the worst of it to pass. I dashed through moderate rain to get the car, and picked up Anne. We had more thunder on the way home, and some really nice lightning too. Fortunately, there was a break in the rain when we got home--just a sprinkle left. This gave me a chance to look at the rain gauge--which was totally full---a bit over the 3 inch mark. I dumped it out and left it to collect more. I think there was another half inch in when I put the garbage out later. That is the biggest rainfall we have had in ages. The official rainfall for the day was 0.56 inches---just goes to show how variable and scattered it all is.

Well, it would be nice if I had something interesting or exciting to tell you about. Unfortunately that isn't the case. Oh, there are the two tropical depressions in the Atlantic. It doesn't look like either of them are going to bother us any. I guess it is too early to tell if rain from either of them will interfere with the launch scheduled for Sunday. Debby is doing what I love to see tropical depressions/storms/hurricanes do--head up into the Atlantic and fizzle. Hurrah! I hope she stays on course!

I guess Pluto is in the news, having been demoted from planet status and designated a dwarf planet. Which in my book still makes it a planet. There are many subclassifications for suns, right? I am guessing that the powers that be didn't want to have to include Ceres, UB-313, and Charon as planets. Go figure. I guess school kids will be happy not to have 12 planet names to remember, instead of the former 9?

On the reading front, I have finished Eon by Greg Bear, and have tentatively started Moonwars by Ben Bova. I am just barely into it and might stop and read something else, only because it is the second book in a series. I hate to start in the middle, if you know what I mean? So, we will see.

Well, I think I will go remove wall paper border backing, or sort some things. Always something to do at Casa Walters, eh? Take care all and have a good day, and Kathleen--we are sending good thoughts your way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home