Saturday, September 24, 2005

My Car is Back!

Well, I guess some of you have already heard, but I got a call Friday afternoon that my car was done and ready to pick up! We were on our way to get Mike's car from the shop--we now have a realistic hope that its persistant "not wanting to start" problem is fixed! Anyway, got his car, then headed down to the south to turn in my rental car and get my Honda. All worked out fine! Everyone was happy---the Enterprise rental gal was happy---my rental was fine and way cleaner than she is used to seeing them--said she wouldn't have to clean it!!!! It really made me wonder what they usually come back like! Of course, Anne and I don't make too much of a mess, no random cheerios lying about these days, etc! I was happy to get my car, it looks good as new, and except for some scratching on the "H" logo on the hood, you would never guess that the car had been grossly mangled. It drives fine, and I haven't noticed any differences, which is good!!!!!!! I am glad to have my power windows and power locks back!!!! How we get spoiled, eh?

Mike has talked to his folks a couple of times, and I talked to them early this evening, when they called. It was good to talk to them! It sounds like they came through the storms just fine. We are very relieved to hear that they had no damage. Some of their neighbors were not so lucky. They had heard that a number of trees were down in their neighborhood and saw that some were down on their street. I guess it isn't too surprising, as the neighborhood is an older one, with a lot of mature and very tall trees. I am sure they are all lucky to have gotten off so lightly. They were having very little wind and only a little bit of rain, more of a sprinkle, when I talked to them. I have had emails from Russ's wife Amy, and they are all doing well in Houston. I don't think they had any damage, and they hadn't lost power either, last I heard. They were worried about the Walters in Lufkin, but I understand that they have all talked to each other on the phone since then.

I am sure Jo and husband Eric are excited to be moving into their new home soon! Jo has some great photos on her blogs, and I am sure there will be even more later. How fun to start fresh with a brand new house, new furniture, etc! Their kitty had fun checking the house over, and seems to have given it her seal of approval. A good thing!

After taking Mike to work on Friday, I did a walk around the house to check the plants, for the first time in ages. Everything looks really good. The jasmine on the trellis continues to grow. I retrained some on the vines, which were headed into the palm tree that is nearby. It is all still a bit sparse, but that will change as it continues to grow. All the hibiscus have blooms open, and some are also covered in buds. They look really nice, and will continue to do so! The one planted last summer after the hurricanes looks as "grown up" as the rest, you would never know it was so new. The grapefruit tree is covered, and I think I probably should have culled out more of the grapefruit when they were little tykes. The side the tree leans to already is made worse by having a bumper crop of grapefruit on that side, further weighing the tree down in that direction. For the most part, I probably did okay with the culling I did, as far as size of fruit goes, as they look like they are a pretty decent size this year. Some are turning pink on the outside, I don't remember any of them doing that last year. I imagine some of them are ready to pick already, and maybe way more than we realize. Mike will have to get started eating them! All the other plants continue to do well. The frangipani has two more places that have blooms and buds, in addition to the original spot. The flowers are quite lovely, and I just wish the tree wasn't so tall, so I could see the flowers more easily. As Mike says, that is why he takes photos of them, so I can see them!

Our best wishes to you all, and to all the Texas family, stay safe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home